Short Play Lab Seeks Scripts for Nov. 6 – 7 — Cash Prizes!!
Dear Friend in the Theatre,
The Short Play Lab is looking for scripts for Nov. 6 – 7. New participants are welcome! The rules are easy-peasy:
- Deadline for Nov. 6 – 7 is Oct. 26. Get that script in pronto!
- Plays should be 1 – 10 pp. in standard playscript format.*
- Submit scripts in MS-Word.
- You produce the play; the SPL provides the theatre (at the Roy Arias Studios, 300 West 43rd Street, NYC).
- Productions must be non-union: no showcases please! (And no Equity waivers, either.)
- Keep production values to a minimum: costumes and hand props are okay. We provide rehearsal cubes, chairs, and a table or two.
- We provide a board op, box office, and venue management.
- There are no fees. The SPL keeps the door.
- Tickets are $18. Each playwright and director gets to watch his/her show for free. There are no other comps.
- There is a tech rehearsal, on the afternoon of Nov. 6. Plays get either 15 mins of tech (1 – 5 pp.) or 30 mins. of tech (6 – 10 pp.).
- Every play gets 2 performances, 1 on Sat. and 1 on Sun.
- We don't do staged readings. Be off-book, please! Plays not off-book during tech will be removed from the line-up.
- There are usually 2 separate programs of plays; each program is performed twice. THE MOST POPULAR PRODUCTION IN EACH PROGRAM RECEIVES A CASH PRIZE OF $50. Winners are determined by polling patrons at the box office.
*12 pt Times Roman; character names in the middle on their own line; line spaces between speeches and stage directions; indented stage directions.
The SPL is a lot of fun and a good way to see your work on its feet in a supportive environment. It's also a great way to see actors and directors at work, so you can recruit people for later productions.
To submit a script, send it as an attachment to email@example.com. Any questions, don't hesitate to shoot me an E-mail!
Executive producer, Short Play Lab
Visit Stage Voices blog: http://stagevoices.typepad.com/stage_voices